What is trichotillomania?
Trichotillomania is an impulse control disorder that causes someone to pull out their own hair. Hair pulling may occur in any region of the body in which hair grows, but is typically focused on the scalp, eyebrows or eyelids. Hair pulling from the scalp often leaves patchy bald spots which can cause significant distress. Most people with trichotillomania pull their hair in private and generally try to hide the disorder from others.
Signs and symptoms of trichotillomania often include:
- Repeatedly pulling your hair out, typically from your scalp, eyebrows or eyelashes
- A sense of pleasure or relief after the hair is pulled
- Recurrent pulling of your hair resulting in noticeable hair loss
- Biting, chewing or eating pulled-out hair
- Playing with pulled-out hair or rubbing it across your lips or face
- Repeatedly trying to stop pulling out your hair or trying to do it less often without success
- Significant distress or problems at work, school or in social situations related to the side effects of pulling out your hair
Although there is currently no cure for trichotillomania, there are many treatment options available. Please contact your doctor or dermatologist for further information regarding diagnosis and treatment.
Where can I get more information?
There are many helpful online support groups for people with trichotillomania that allow you to connect with others who are also coping with the condition. Websites like the Daily Strength, TrichStop, and Trichotillomania Support Online are great online resources to explore.
How can Compassionate Creations help?
A great way to battle the appearance related side effects of hair loss is to wear a custom-built wig designed just for you. We can replicate your original hair style based on reference photos or we can design something completely new together. Our specialty as a company is in making wigs from your own hair or the hair of a loved one. We also have the ability to make wigs from hair available for purchase in case you don’t have donated hair to work with.